IHLO is seeking a new Researcher and Campaign Coordinator
An exciting position is available at the ITUC/GUF/HKCTU Hong Kong Liaison office (IHLO): Researcher and campaign coordinator
We are looking for a committed and dynamic person to lead our local and international campaign work on improving labour rights in the PRC (including Hong Kong and Macau).
You will also be responsible for undertaking research on labour related developments in China and ensuring IHLO produces a wide range of stimulating and innovative materials for the international trade union community.
The post involved a commitment to human and trade union rights as well as high levels of integrity and an ability to work independently under pressure.
The post may involve some international travel.
The IHLO is a small friendly office based in central Kowloon with flexible working hours and a commitment to the development of its staff.
To apply please download the job description and person specification www.ihlo.org and send your C.V. along with a cover letter which clearly states how you match the skills requested to [email protected].
The post will remain open until filled. We will respond to those short listed. Interviews will take place in August and will include a short test.
Job Description: Researcher and Campaign Coordinator
Main Duties include but are not restricted to:
- To undertake research on labour issues in China, Macau and Hong Kong using both primary and secondary sources.
- To assist in the coordination and execution of research, campaigns and liaison work with the Brussels headquarters of the ITUC, Global Union Federations and affiliates of the ITUC.
- To assist in the coordination of research and lobbying work with International Bodies (such as the ILO), regional bodies and others
- To organise, coordinate and run local and international campaigns. To ensure efficient and timely evaluation of such campaigns. To initiate new campaigns and where possible to involve ITUC secretariat, affiliates and others in order to achieve both short and long term objectives.
- To liaise with local labour related groups and trade unions and to ensure that IHLO is kept abreast of all developments relating to the work of local Labour groups in Hong Kong and in the mainland.
- To assist in the formulation of information and advice to affiliates on China related issues as well producing extensive briefings in person to delegations.
- Producing and writing a range of materials for a wide variety of audiences - researching and writing English-language reports, to strict deadlines, at publication level
- Editing and proof reading reports and translations
- To translate a range of materials on a regular basis for the English language website
- To scan the mainland media (both web and paper) for news stories, events and issues of relevance and to provide regular updates for internal use as well as regular translations
- Post will require willingness to travel and undertake work during unsocial hours
Skills required ((E) is essential, (D) is desirable)
- At least one year’s experience in working directly on labour related developments in mainland China (E)
- At least two years experience in working on human rights issues in the region, Hong Kong, Macau or/and mainland China (E)
- Demonstrated experience of collaboration and cooperation with NGOs and similar groups inside the PRC (E)
- Demonstrated experience/skills in communication sharing and development of sustainable contacts with a variety of groups (E)
- Demonstrated experience (paid or voluntary) of leading and organising campaigns in a related area (E)
- Research experience (E)
- Native Cantonese or Putonghua with a near fluent use of the second (E)
- Excellent English language (written and oral) (E)
- Commitment to the development of human and trade union rights (E)
- Extensive range of labour related contacts in the region (D)
- Media experience (D)
- Experience of writing materials for a wide range of groups and audiences (D)
- Self-motivation, good time keeping and ability to initiate and monitor own work (E)
國際勞聯/產聯香港聯絡處(ITUC/GUF/HKCTU Hong Kong Liaison Office) 招聘「研究員/組織幹事」
(e) 必須 (d) 優勢
一年或以上直接接觸有關中國勞工問題的工作經驗 (e) 及 兩年或以上有關中國、香港或/和澳門人權議題有關的工作經驗 (e)